Pizzas are great, but sometimes you don’t want to go to the effort of rolling out the dough, trying (in vain, usually) to make a respectable circle, getting flour everywhere… and thus the french bread pizza was invented. Now, there are many ways you can go with this. Pasta sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella. Italian sausage with olives and mushrooms. My personal favorite, though, is the bbq chicken pizza. A light layer of sweet and spicy bbq sauce, juicy chicken, melted mozzarella and cheddar, with a little garlic and red onion to top it all off. Perfect.
Start by prepping everything. Shred a whole cooked chicken (very easy to pick up at the store already roasted), discarding the skin. Grate 3 cups of cheese, in this case an even mix of smoked cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan. Slice half an onion into strings. Cook and dice a third of a pound of bacon. Mince two cloves of garlic. Slice the french bread in half lengthwise then in half down the middle, making 4 even pieces. Then melt some butter with the garlic in a small microwave safe bowl, and brush it on the cut pieces of bread.
Brush on bbq sauce.
Top with chicken, bacon, red onions, and cheese.
Bake at 425°F until the cheese has melted.
Let cool and you’re done!
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole roasted chicken, shredded
- 1½ cup bbq sauce
- ⅓ pound bacon, cooked and diced
- ½ red onion, sliced into strings
- 3 cups grated cheese, preferably a mix of mozzarella, parmesan, and cheddar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice bread in half down the middle, then cut in half lengthwise, forming 4 even pieces.
- Melt butter with garlic in a microwave safe bowl first for 30 seconds, then in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted. Brush on cut sides of bread.
- Spread bbq sauce evenly on bread.
- Layer chicken, bacon, red onion, then cheese on top of the bread.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, or until melted.