Bacon and chocolate. Apparently, there are people who don’t believe they go together. People who go “eew” when you talk about this delicious, salty-sweet pairing. Perhaps they just aren’t as adventurous as I am. Perhaps they just don’t love bacon the way I do. All I know is that if it makes them miss out on these cookies, it’s a crying shame. Because these are goooood. And the bacon means they’re a breakfast food!
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, and lay the bacon on top. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar on the bacon strips. Bake for 10 minutes, turn the bacon, sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over it, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until crispy.
Remove from oven and let cool. Chop fine once cooled.
Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk to the bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add the flour mixture and mix well, then add the diced candied bacon and the chocolate chips and stir until combined.
Place golf ball sized balls of dough on a parchment or silpat lined cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are brown.
Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- For the candied bacon:
- 8 slices center cut thick bacon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- For the cookies
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the bacon in a single layer on foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle with half the brown sugar. Bake for 10 minutes, flip bacon and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar, and bake for another 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Let bacon cool and chop fine.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk to the bowl. Beat until well combined. Add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add diced candied bacon and chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Form dough into golf ball sized balls, place on a parchment or silpat covered baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are just brown. Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes, and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.