In my continuing effort to be healthier, I occasionally make up batches of healthy snacks to have around, and I’ve found that date and nut snack balls are amazing. In these, the date and the apricot act as a binder, the almonds provide some nice texture, the peanut butter adds nutty flavor and a little sweetness and salt, and the spices really round out the flavor. You can substitute any nut, other dried fruit, and even add a little kick to these with cayenne if desired.
Start by grinding the nuts to the texture of coarse breadcrumbs.
Add in the rest of the ingredients.
Process until the mixture will stick together. It may not seem like it when you first handle the mixture, it felt far too loose to me, but press it together and it will stick.
Press together small handfuls and roll into balls.
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 cups pitted dates (about 24)
- ¼ cup apricots (about 5)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Process the nuts in a food processor until they resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add in remaining ingredients and process until mixture will stick together when squeezed.
- Press small handfuls together and round into balls.