I really love pumpkin pie. I’m also definitely not a morning person, so making breakfast is frequently a struggle. This quick 10-minute oatmeal recipe comes through on both points, though. Easy, full of pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla, it’s fantastic. It even reheats well, so make up a big batch on Monday and enjoy it for the rest of the week!
Start by simmering a 50/50 mix of water and milk in a pot large enough to prevent boil-overs.
Reduce heat to low, then add in first the oats, then all remaining ingredients except cranberries.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until oats are cooked and thickened to your liking, then serve. Top with dried cherries or cranberries.
- 1½ cups non-fat milk
- 1½ cups water
- 2½ cups quick oats
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dried cherries (or cranberries)
- Bring the milk and water to a simmer over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Once you have reached a simmer, stir in all remaining ingredients except dried cherries.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until oats are cooked and as thick as you like them.
- Remove from heat and serve, topping with dried cherries.