I know everyone is gearing up for the Super Bowl, and I wanted to post a bacon wrapped, chorizo and goat cheese stuffed date recipe here today, but I haven’t had a chance to make it yet. So instead here’s a healthy Caesar salad with kale and a fantastic dressing. I’m not a fan of anchovies, so instead I substituted it for white miso and it turned out fantastic. It was adapted from the always-delicious Shutterbean, and got requested to be served again immediately after I made it. So when you’re feeling like a good amount of greens after the excesses of the Superbowl, I highly recommend whipping this together.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Tear or cut bread into 1 inch pieces, toss in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and herbs. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stir, and bake for another 5-8 minutes, or until browned.
Next make the dressing. I recommend using a small mason jar for this, but a small bowl also works. The bain marie did NOT work well, it was too wide. I eventually transferred it to a wide mouthed pint mason jar and blended it in there. So you mix the vinegar, lemon juice, white miso, garlic, chili powder, and smoked paprika in the jar or small bowl. Then add the olive oil and egg yolk and blend it with an immersion blender until well incorporated. Toss in 1/4 cup of parmesan and add salt and pepper to taste.
Wash the kale and tear into small, bite-sized pieces. Run through a salad spinner if you have one, or let drain so the leaves are dry and will hold dressing better.
Assemble your salad by adding dressing a bit at a time along with cheddar and parmesan cheese, and “massaging” the kale to help saturate the leaves with the dressing. Once well dressed, toss with croutons, a little extra cheese, and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- half loaf of old bread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1½ teaspoons dried chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ⅓ cup sharp cheddar, grated
- 9-10 cups kale, chopped (about 2 bunches)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut or tear bread into 1 inch pieces. Place in a bowl and add olive oil, garlic, thyme, oregano, basil, and salt. Toss to evenly coat pieces of bread. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Stir, then return to the oven for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, miso, chili powder, and paprika to a small bowl or wide-mouthed mason jar. Stir to combine. Add the olive oil and egg yolk, then blend with an immersion blender until fully combined. Stir in ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Wash the chopped kale and dry, either with a salad spinner or towel.
- Assemble salad by putting the kale in a bowl, then adding the dressing a bit at a time along with some of the cheddar and parmesan cheese, then "massaging" it a bit to incorporate the dressing and saturate the leaves. Repeat until salad tastes properly dressed, then toss with croutons, remaining cheese, and freshly ground pepper.